I am currently a Principal Computer Programmer in Pathogen Informatics at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute in Cambridge. This primarily involves building sequencing analysis pipelines and bioinformatics analysis software (C, Python, and Perl). Prior to this I spent 2 years doing Ruby on Rails for a LIMS (biology lab software systems). Most of the software I've developed is open sourced on GitHub. From Sept 2008-Sept 2009 I was a Post Doctoral Research Fellow at the National College of Ireland, doing research on automated dialogue systems with Dr. Dr. Dietmar Janetzko. I was based in the Centre for Research and Innovation in Learning and Teaching. From 2003-2008 I was a Ph.D student in the Dept. of Computer Science in the National University of Ireland Maynooth under the supervision of Thomas J. Naughton. This research was on the area of adaptive scheduling for heterogeneous distributed systems. The research was funded by the Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology (IRCSET) funded under the National Development Plan (NDP). I also studied for a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Software Engineering in the Department of Computer Science, NUI Maynooth from 1999-2003 achieving a first class honour. My CV is available from Linkedin
I am a student member of the ACM and IEEE. I am also a member of Minds, the IT society in the National University of Ireland Maynooth since 2001. I was a member of the Scout Association of Ireland (now Scouting Ireland) for over 10 years, achieving the highest challenge in Scouting called the Explorer Belt in 2000, hiking 200km in the French and Italian Alps over 10 days. I was also a member of the Lucan Concert Band for over 10 years. I regularly update my blog on a variety of different IT related topics, so thats probably the best place to find out my day-to-day interests.
Journals I've been invited to review for:
- Computer (IEEE)
- IEEE transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
- IEEE transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
- Knowledge and Information Systems - Springer
- International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems
- Computers & Operations Research - Elsevier
- Science of Computer Programming - Elsevier
- Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing - Elsevier
- Journal of Computers
- Journal of Supercomputing
- Optics Letters - OSA
- Optics Express - OSA
- Internet solutions Engineering - Masters in Software Engineering, National University of Ireland Maynooth. 2008, 2009.
- Application Development - 1st year BSc Software Systems Engineering, National College of Ireland. 2008, 2009.
- Distributed Applications 2 - 3rd year BSc Software Systems Engineering, National College of Ireland. 2008.
- Computer Fundamentals - 1st year BSc Software Systems Engineering, National College of Ireland. 2008.